You are here: Home Milestones
ELLICOTT CITY, Md. – The Franciscan Friars at St. Paul Parish in Kensington took part in a little history-making in May as their order merged two provinces, or territorial areas, into one Our Lady of the Angels Province.
The former Provinces of Immaculate Conception (founded in 1872) and St. Anthony of Padua (founded in 1906) merged into the new province during the provincial chapter (convention) of the Franciscan Friars Conventual of the eastern United States May 5-9 in Buffalo, N.Y. The chapter is held every four years,
Formally established on May 5, the territory of the new Our Lady of the Angels Province stretches from Ontario, Canada, to the eastern United States, from New England to Florida. The province also includes Costa Rica and custodies in Brazil, Great Britain and Ireland. The friars in Kensington are the only representatives of the order in the archdiocese.
Numbering more than 200 friars, Our Lady of the Angels Province will assemble again in the second session of the chapter Aug. 4-8, when the friars will chart the course of the order’s many ministries, celebrating the longevity and diversity of its Franciscan witness to the poor and marginalized in the United States. Following the exhortation of Pope Francis, the new Our Lady of the Angels Province will seek to “wake up the world” with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
The friars serving at St. Peter in Kensington are Father Robert Schlageter, pastor; Father Raymond Borkowski and Father Timothy Lyons, parochial vicars.
Information about the new province is available from Joseph Hamilton, director of communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 410-531-9200.
ENFIELD – Ten local Felician Sisters are marking anniversaries ranging from 50 to 80 years this year. These members of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Canalice represent 610 years of ministry.
Sister Mary Cecilia Janiec is celebrating 80 years. She was born in Hartford and entered the order on July 26, 1934, at Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary Convent in Lodi, N.J. She has taught at St. Bernard School and St. Martha School, Enfield; and St. Gabriel School, Windsor. She also served as an extraordinary minister of holy Communion and sacristan at Our Lady of the Angels Convent, Enfield, where she resides.
Second graders at St. Mary School in Milford made their first holy Communion on May 3 in front of a church packed with their families and friends.
Father Aidan Donahue, pastor, celebrated the Mass, assisted by Deacon John Hoffman.
Guests Msgr. Louis DeProfio and Deaon Ed Ramos helped in the distribution of Communion.
NEW HAVEN – Dr. Julia M. McNamara, right, president of Albertus Magnus College, adjusts the academic hood of Maryknoll Sister Janice McLaughlin, president of the Maryknoll Sisters, at the college’s May 18 commencement, assisted by Dr. Sean O'Connell, vice president for academic affairs at Albertus.
Sister Janice received the honorary degree of Doctor of Humane Letters at the 91st commencement exercises.
She was honored for her many years of working to promote peace and reconciliation in Africa, and for advocating for the poor and for the rights of young girls to attend school.
Commencement took place in front of iconic Rosary Hall, the first building acquired by the college. (Photo by Judith Sirora Rosenthal submitted)
HARTFORD – Of the 40 students who received the sacrament of confirmation on April 26 at St. Timothy Church in West Hartford, six were from the parish's deaf ministry, which works in conjunction with the American School for the Deaf. This was the first time in six years that the sacrament was administered to deaf young adults.
All the readings were simultaneously signed and vocalized by the confirmandi during the Mass.
Auxiliary Bishop Christie Macaluso, celebrant of the Mass, was delighted to see the confirmation students, both those who can hear and cannot hear, their sponsors, families and faculty sign and sing the “Alleluia” during the liturgy.