Catholic Transcript Magazine of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Hartford Connecticut

Thursday, May 24, 2018

usj grant-webTogether for the announcement of a $2 million-plus grant for the University of St. Joseph in West Hartford recently are, from left, Cheryl Barnard, vice president of student affairs; Michelle Kalis, provost; Rep. John Larson, and Pamela Trotman Reid, University of St. Joseph president. (Photo submitted)

WEST HARTFORD – The University of St. Joseph, with the support of U.S. Congressman John Larson, was awarded a federal Title III Strengthening Institutions Program grant in the amount of more than $2.08 million. The grant, Raising Educational Achievement (REACH), was approved by the U.S. Department of Education.

REACH is a new program that enables student success by improving academic assessment and college readiness skills for students, supporting faculty in meeting students’ learning needs, enhancing resources for underprepared students and systems for tracking and serving at-risk students and increasing support and leadership opportunities for second- and third-year students.

“The REACH Program allows the university to continue to do what it does best: educate students and prepare them to be leaders in their chosen professions and communities,” said President Pamela Trotman Reid. “We are grateful to the Department of Education and to Representative John Larson for recognizing our expertise in this area and providing us the means to reach and serve an even greater number of students.”

Provost Michelle Kalis, who was instrumental in preparing the grant, said, “The REACH program will directly support our students in the most critical areas of need. Not everyone starts college with the same skill set and USJ is committed to bringing all its students to the point where they can reach their maximum potential, be retained at the institution, and graduate in four years.”

“This award is a reflection of the outstanding work of President Reid, Provost Kalis, and their dedicated staff,” said Congressman Larson. “The University of St. Joseph is a top-notch educational institution with a talented student body, made up of women from across the county and around the globe.”

The REACH program will enhance student success throughout the entire college-education process, including improved retention and graduation rates. The program was launched this fall.

The grant was approved by the U.S. Department of Education’s Higher Education Act, as a five-year development grant. The federal funds received constitute 52 percent of the project’s total costs. The remaining 48 percent comes from the university’s own funds and private support.