ENFIELD – Enfield Montessori School students hang on to their special-occasion hard hats in a stiff breeze while parading about a quarter of a mile from their school building at 1370 Enfield St. and through the tree-lined grounds of the Felician Sisters’ property to the Heritage Center at 1325 Enfield St., the site of their future school, on May 13.
Each child also carried a well- worn teaching or learning object from the current school to the site of the new school, where ground was broken for renovations that will result in a 22,000-square-foot facility. The school's faculty and administrators walked along with the children.
The familiar mansard-roofed estate at the corner of Post Office Road, which has served as the Enfield Montessori School’s home since the mid-1960s, currently accommodates about 125 students through grade six.
The transition, long the object of a successful capital campaign, will enable the expansion of classroom, catechesis and gathering space as well as expansion of services to include a toddler program from age 18 months.
Head of School Cliona Beaulieu welcomed guests at both the old and new sites and oversaw the symbolic intermingling of soil from both locations during the formal groundbreaking.
Felician Sister Mary Lawrence Lojko, local minister of Our Lady of the Angels Convent in Enfield, led the attendees in a prayer, calling upon the community’s foundress, Blessed Angela, to guide the school’s continuing mission.
Remarks were made by Andrea White, president of Felician Services, Inc.; Peter Bachmann, of JCJ Architecture; and Dale R. Hoyt, superintendent of schools for the Archdiocese of Hartford. (Photo by Karen O. Bray)