Catholic Transcript Magazine of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Hartford Connecticut

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

PORT JERVIS, N.Y. – Father Anthony F. Moore, 85, a professed Franciscan friar for 64 years and a priest for 59 years, died on Nov. 23, 2010, at Bon Secours Community Hospital in Port Jervis.

Father Moore served at St. Joseph Parish in Winsted from 1992-2002.

He was born on Sept. 3, 1925, in Flushing, N.Y., a son of Patrick and Blanche (Stab) Moore. He was baptized William Gerard Moore. He attended St. Michael High School in New York City. He then studied at St. Joseph Seraphic Seminary in Callicoon, N.Y., from 1941-45.

He was received into the Order of Friars Minor, in Holy Name Province, on Aug. 13, 1945, at St. Bonaventure Church in Paterson, N.J.

Between 1946 and 1952, he studied at St. Stephen Friary in Croghan, N.Y.; St. Anthony Friary in Butler, N.J.; St. Bonaventure University in Allegany, N.Y.; and Holy Name College in Washington, D.C. He professed his final vows in Washington on Sept. 17, 1949.

He was ordained to the priesthood on June 29, 1951, at Mount St. Sepulchre in Washington, D.C., by Bishop John McNamara, auxiliary bishop of Washington.

Father Moore was a professor of sociology at Siena College in Loudonville, N.Y., from 1952-53 and 1961-65. He then was a pastor of parishes in Tokyo, Japan; Croghan; Yulan, N.Y.; Pond Eddy, N.Y.; Americas, Ga.; Callicoon, N.Y; Obernburg, N.Y.; and Winsted.

He also was a chaplain at The Family School in Obernburg.

Provincial Vicar Dominic Monti was the principal celebrant of a Mass of Christian Burial on Nov. 30 at St. Anthony Church in Butler, N.J. Burial followed at Mount Calvary Cemetery in Butler.

Father Moore is survived by his sister, Good Shepherd Sister Mary Felicia Moore of Marlborough, Mass.; and brother, Jesuit Father Donald J. Moore of the Bronx, N.Y. He was predeceased by two brothers, Patrick W. Moore and Father Robert A. Moore; and two sisters, Dominican Sister Mary Kenneth Moore and Ursuline Sister Blanche Marie Moore.

Memorial donations may be made to The Franciscans-St. Anthony’s Guild, 4 Jersey St., East Rutherford, NJ 07073-1012.