SOUTH WINDSOR – Father Lawrence J. Leclair, 84, of Summer Hill Drive, passed away on Feb. 21, 2011, at his home.
Father Leclair was the son of the late Joseph A. and Alexandra (Lussier) Leclair and was born on Aug. 15, 1926, in Taftville. He attended Sacred Heart School in Taftville and Norwich Free Academy, after which he studied at St. Thomas Seminary in Bloomfield and St. Mary Seminary in Baltimore. He was ordained to the priesthood on May 14, 1953, by Bishop Henry J. O’Brien in the Cathedral of St. Joseph in Hartford.
Among Father Leclair’s assignments were St. Bernard Parish in Sharon, St. Joseph Parish in Meriden, St. Ann Parish in Avon, St. Gabriel Parish in Milford, Blessed Sacrament Parish in Waterbury, St. Mary Parish in Milford, Holy Family Parish in Enfield and St. Lawrence O’Toole Parish in Hartford.
Father Leclair was Pastor of St. Mary Parish in Windsor Locks from 1980-87, and then was a priest in residence at Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Washington Depot. He later served as a priest-chaplain at Waterbury Hospital from 1989 until his retirement in September of 1996. Most recently, Father Leclair assisted at St. Francis of Assisi Parish in South Windsor.
Father Leclair is survived by two brothers, Normand P. Leclair of Roseville, Calif., and Gerard A. Leclair of Thomaston; 17 nieces and nephews; and grandnieces, grandnephews, great-grandnieces and great-grandnephews. He was predeceased by two brothers, David and Arthur; and a sister, Laurette Duff.
A parish Mass was celebrated on Feb. 24 at St. Francis of Assisi Church in South Windsor, where Archbishop Henry J. Mansell was the principal celebrant of a Mass of Christian Burial the next morning. Father Jeremiah N. Murasso, pastor, delivered the homily. Burial was in Sacred Heart Cemetery in Taftville.
Memorial donations may be made to St. Francis of Assisi Church, 673 Ellington Road, South Windsor, CT 06074; or to a charity of the donor’s choice.