HARTFORD – Father James D. Caffery, a member of the Missionaries of Our Lady of La Salette, Province of Mary, Mother of the Americas, died on June 17, 2011, at St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center.
He was born on April 9, 1933, in Middletown, a son of James P. and Emilia (Viger) Caffery. He attended schools in Middletown before entering the La Salette Seminary High School in Hartford in 1947. He completed junior college at La Salette Seminary in Bloomfield and Hartford before entering the novitiate in Bloomfield in 1953. He pronounced his first vows on July 2, 1954, and made his perpetual profession on July 2, 1957.
He completed his studies at the La Salette Seminary in Ipswich, Mass., and was ordained to the priesthood on May 28, 1960, by Auxiliary Bishop Thomas J. Riley of Boston.
Father Caffery was named prefect at the La Salette Junior Seminary in Cheshire. Later, he taught at the La Salette Seminary in Altamont, N.Y., before being appointed superior and director of scholastics at the seminary in Ipswich in 1970 and director of brother postulants in 1973.
In 1977, he was appointed assistant pastor of St. James Parish in Danielson and then Pastor of St. Mary Church in Ware, Mass. After serving for five years at Our Lady of Prompt Succor Parish in Sulphur, La., he ministered for the next 16 years in Georgia at St. Matthew Church in Fairburn, St. Thomas the Apostle Parish in Smyrna and Our Lady of La Salette Parish in Canton.
In 2006, he retired to Blessed Trinity Parish in Orlando, Fla., and resided there until September 2009, when he moved to the La Salette House in Hartford.
In addition to his La Salette confreres, Father Caffery is survived by a brother, William Caffery of Higganum.
A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated June 20 at the Hartford House chapel. Burial followed at Mount St. Benedict Cemetery in Bloomfield.
Contributions may be made in Father Caffery’s memory to: Missionaries of La Salette Retirement Fund, 915 Maple Ave., Hartford, CT 06114-2330.