COLUMBUS, Ohio – Dominican Sister of Peace Charles Marie (Gloria) Brantl died at Mount Carmel East Hospital on Aug. 21, 2014.
She was born on April 30, 1929, in Brooklyn, N.Y., a daughter of the late Charles and Edna (Muir) Brantl. She also was preceded in death by her brother Leland and her sister Virginia. She is survived by nieces and a nephew.
Sister Charles Marie entered the novitiate of the former Dominican Sisters of St. Mary of the Springs in Columbus in 1951 and made her first profession of vows in 1953. She graduated from Albertus Magnus College in New Haven and received a doctorate in economics from Fordham University.
Sister Charles Marie was an educator her entire religious life, serving in the Catholic schools in New York. She was a professor of economics at Ohio Dominican College from 1965-76. In addition to teaching, she played a foundational role in establishing men’s intercollegiate athletics, including both basketball and baseball. For this dedication to Panther Athletics, she was inducted into the Ohio Dominican Athletic Hall of Fame in 1997.
For many years, she also was a trustee at Ohio Dominican University, from which she received an honorary doctorate in 2005.
Sister Charles Marie returned to Albertus Magnus College in 1976, serving as vice president for academic affairs and director of assessment and institutional research. She retired from Albertus in 2011 to perform community service at the motherhouse of the Dominican Sisters of Peace in Columbus.
A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated Aug. 26 in the chapel at the motherhouse. Burial followed at St. Joseph Cemetery there.
Memorial gifts in Sister Charles Marie’s name may be submitted securely online at www.oppeace.org or sent to Dominican Sisters of Peace, Office of Mission Advancement, 2320 Airport Dr., Columbus, OH 43219.