Charles de Bronx desolate after failing to break the lightweight limit for title fights at UFC 274 weight-in – Photo: Getty Images
The scale was reset on Friday morning, and according to the athletes, there was a difference between 200g and 300g in relation to what was recorded the day before. This meant that many fighters had to re-lower their weights and race to max out their teams within the two hours provided by the Athletic Commission.
According to a source close to an athlete scheduled at UFC 274 but asking for confidentiality, a UFC employee reported the error in the scale, which would only remain wrong during the early hours of Thursday through Friday.
– When it was this morning, dawn, we were told that the scale had been moved and the reading was wrong, that it had now been corrected and the scale was reading correctly. I even asked the UFC employee, “So she’s been scoring wrong all week? We’re weighing wrong?” He said, “No, it was just a mistake this morning, that someone messed with the scale.” (…]To my count, I thought the difference was half a kilo to more (after it flattened out), but I couldn’t be sure (…).But he could have been wrong all week, I can’t say for sure.
Ariane Sorriso warned of the weight of the straw on social media of the accident. This information is confirmed.
– Yes, there was a problem, we weighed it yesterday (Thursday) and when we came today to weigh it, it weighed 300 grams less, and it was less than the weight we set. We even thought we could drink some water, but just in case we had to, we decided not to. Then the UFC production team arrived, told everyone to wait, check the scale, change it, re-calibrate it, go back to normal weight, which is what she weighed yesterday – said Rafael.
Charles do Bronx Is 226g Over Lightweight Limit At First Welterweight at UFC 274
Charles’ coach Diego Lima confirmed that the fighter went to sleep last night with a battering, according to a UFC conference balance check. To his surprise, when he came down to the weight, at the conference he saw that he had exceeded the permissible limit.
– We went to sleep at the weigh-in, checked the weight on the scale that the organization leaves in the basement, everything is fine. When we went this morning, I was overweight. We even posted yesterday (Thursday) that he went to sleep with a lot of weight, because that’s what really happened. You are witnesses to this, Charles did not stop hitting weights after he reached 70 kg. Even when he wasn’t strapping, he was overcoming the underweight, and he didn’t use the tolerance pound. If I were to keep talking, they would think it was an excuse, but the truth is we posted yesterday that he hit the weight pretty well. He hit the weights and went to sleep.
Besides Charles, Brazilian Norma Dumont was the only other female fighter to be overweight at 0.5 pounds (200 grams). She said she was also affected by the Libra issue and said she wasn’t the only one.
– F*** everyone. The scale in my room, last night, was reading 5lbs and I was going to do another cutting session, but I went down to check the UFC scale and only 3lbs left. Well, I said, my scale is wrong, I live traveling to Brazil and sometimes the balance goes off. But this morning, I went to do weight loss, went down and the same thing happened, it was 6 am. It was seven in the morning, and the UFC doctor knocked the room here and warned, “Look, they changed the scale, we had to recalibrate it and it went up by 2lbs.” Two pounds equals approximately one kilo. We took as much as we could, it was the first UFC where I saw a lot of people go down to 10:30 and everyone was really bad, because people thought they were under 1kg.
Norma Dumont didn’t weigh in at UFC 274 and was fined 30% of her wallet – Image: Reproduction/Youtube
– We make a whole plan to leave 1 kg just to take it off in the morning, because the body is already weak, and suddenly it became 2 kg. Everyone picked up. It was the first UFC game where I saw a lot of people weighing naked and at the last minute, I arrived at 10:30 and there was a class, usually everyone weighing 9hrs. He did a good job,” added Dumont, who was given an hour to lose the extra weight, but had to stop the operation because he was in cramping pain.
The Fight UFC 274 will be broadcast live and exclusively on Saturday from 18:10 (Brazilian time). The fight.com Broadcasts “Aquecimento Combate” and the first two battles at the same time, as well as SportTV 3 it’s the anti youtube. The site tracks the event in real time.
Check the weights of all athletes:
* Lightweight (up to 70.3 kg): Charles of the Bronx (70.5 kg) *** x Justin Gaethje (70.3 kg)
* Straw weight (up to 52.2 kg): Rose Namajunas (52.2 kg) x Carla Esparza (52.2 kg)
Lightweight (up to 70.8 kg): Michael Chandler (70.8 kg) vs Tony Ferguson (70.5 kg)
Light Heavyweight (up to 93.4 kg): Maurício Shogun (93.2 kg) x Ovince St. Preux (93 kg)
Lightweight (up to 70.8 kg): Donald Cerrone (70.5 kg) vs. Joe Luzon (70.5 kg)
Lightweight (up to 77.6 kg): Randy Brown (77.3 kg) vs. Khaus Williams (77.1 kg)
Featherweight (up to 66.2 kg): Macy Chiasson (66 kg) x Norma Dumont (66.4 kg)**
Middleweight (up to 77.6 kg): Francisco Massaranduba (77.3 kg) x Danny Roberts (77.3 kg)
Flyweight (up to 57.2 kg): Brandon Royal (56.9 kg) vs Matt Schnell (56.9 kg)
Heavyweight (up to 120.7 kg): Blagoy Ivanov (115 kg) x Marcos Pezão (117.3 kg)
Lightweight (up to 77.6 kg): Andre Filho (77.3 kg) x Cameron Vancamp (77.1 kg)
Flyweight (up to 57.2 kg): Tracy Cortez (56.9 kg) x Melissa Gatto (56.7 kg)
Flyweight (up to 57.2 kg): Kleydson Rodrigues (56.9 kg) x CJ Vergara (57.2 kg)
Straw weight (up to 52.6 kg): Ariane Sorriso (52.4 kg) x Lupita Godinez (52.2 kg)
Bantam weight (up to 61.7 kg): Journey Newson (61.5 kg) x Fernie Garcia (61.5 kg)
* Fighters without the right to carry a pound (0.454 kg) to object to the belts of their categories. All other athletes on the card are entitled to benefit.
** She exceeded the maximum weight by 200g and, as a repeat offender, was fined 30% of her wallet, with the amount returned to her deductible.
*** He weighed less than 200 grams and removed his belt, in addition to being fined 20% of his bag, with the value returned to his opponent.
UFC 274: Charles of the Bronx takes on Justin Gaethje. Just live in the fight! Photo: Infoesporte
“Internet Teacher. Certified TV Enthusiast. Beer Teacher. Unconditional Pop Culture Enthusiast. Web Scholarship Holder.”