where Russia invaded Ukraine In the early hours of February 24, more than 300 companies suspended their operations in the country, according to information from Yale University (USA). McDonald’s exit last Tuesday (8) It was one of the places that residents felt the most, creating queues in stores and Inventory of the product at home.
The first fast food restaurant was built on Russian soil in 1990 and was a milestone in the arrival of capitalism in the then communist Soviet Union. Almost two years after the opening of the shop on Pushkin Square, the regime fell.
Over the more than 30 years of presence of the brand in Russia, another 847 points of sale of the North American company have been created.
Although it is very popular in many regions of the world, such as Brazil, there are countries where McDonald’s has never opened its headquarters and there are countries where fast food has gone bankrupt.
Countries where McDonald’s went bankrupt
Among the areas in which the brand was already present, there are some countries where Mc’s fame has not been enough to keep its units operating.
- Bolivia: The brand’s eight units spent 14 years surviving with the numbers showing red in the country. With stores closed, Bolivia became the first country in Latin America that no longer had a McDonald’s presence;
- Iceland: Bankruptcy on the Scandinavian island occurred for two reasons in 2008: the logistical difficulty of obtaining standard MC inputs and the population’s lack of interest in snacks;
- BarbadosIn just one year, the only Mc Store closed its doors on the Caribbean island. Despite the good economic situation in the country, fast food was not able to compete with seafood restaurants.
- will: McDonald’s restaurants existed in the country until the arrival of the Islamic Republic in 1979. Since then, the multinational has not been able to make a comeback. Despite the departure, the brand has not completely ceased to exist: Iranians have created a fast food clone called “Mash Donalds”;
- Jamaica: Ten years later, the network closed its doors in Jamaica. The most famous theory about bankruptcy is that the size of Mac’s snacks was too small for the population. By producing greater food, Burger King has been able to maintain a strong and steady presence in Bob Marley’s land.
Countries where the fast food chain has not set foot
MC can be found in thousands of locations around the world. Of the 193 countries and 17 territories recognized by the United Nations (UN), there are 35,000 restaurants spread across 119 countries and territories. But depending on the region, the number of franchises is not proportional to the number of states. For example, the brand is headquartered in only four out of 54 African countries. Discover the places where the network has not set foot in the world:
- Cambodia: The rejection came from the North American company. Cambodia did not even make a list of countries with McDonald’s restaurants because it was considered a country with an underdeveloped economy and would not support the restaurants;
- Bermuda: On the island, entry to any fast food restaurant is simply forbidden by law. KFC was the only fast food brand to enter the country, arriving before the legislation was enacted;
- Ghana: This is another country where the brand doesn’t think it can buy a restaurant;
- To whom: The nation is one of the few in the Arab neighborhood that does not have a store. In addition to the fact that the country has not generated economic interest in the brand, foreign companies are not well accepted in the region;
- North Korea: Nothing of American origin is well accepted by the North Korean government, and McDonald’s was no exception to the rule.
“Gamers. Unfortunate Twitter teachers. Zombie pioneers. Internet fans. Hardcore thinkers.”