WEST HAVEN – Robert F. Curis, the first lay president in the history of Notre Dame High School, returns to his seat after being commissioned as the 11th head of school on Sept. 29 in the school's Alumni Hall.
Applauding are Father Henry P. Cody, ’51, pastor of St. Timothy Parish in West Hartford, left; and Holy Cross Brother William Zaydak, provincial of Moreau Province of the Brothers of the Holy Cross, who commissioned Mr. Curis.
The commissioning coincided with a Mass opening the school for the year and the feast of Saints Michael, Gabriel and Raphael, archangels.
Holy Cross Father John F. Denning, president of Stonehill College in Easton, Mass., celebrated the Mass. Stonehill College is another academic institution in the Holy Cross Congregation’s Moreau Province. Father Cody preached the homily.
Brother William also commissioned the faculty, staff and Student Council officers: president Michael Secchiaroli, ’16; vice president Padraic Connors, ’16; secretary Andrew Tammaro, ’16; and treasurer Jerrell Dorsey, ’17.
A luncheon followed in the Maureen and George Collins ’58 Auditorium.
Mr. Curis succeeds longtime leader Holy Cross Brother James Branigan.
Notre Dame High School opened in 1946.
(Photo by Mary Chalupsky)