The first question in Renato Gaucho’s press conference on Friday, on the eve of the final of the Libertadores against Palmeiras, was: Will Bruno Henrique and Arscaeta start? Fly’s coach hid the match, but, on the other hand, celebrated the fact that the entire team was at his disposal to make the decision.
– I think the important thing is that we continued our planning for this match in the Libertadores final against Palmeiras. Everything we could do we did to get all the players back. Of course I will not say who is 100% and who is not, your question is correct. I think the important thing is that the whole group is ready for tomorrow’s match – he said at the press conference.
Renato Gaucho, Flamengo coach, in Montevideo – Photo: Alexandre Vidal / Flamengo
On the verge of going into a third Libertadores final as coach, having finished second with Fluminense in 2008 and champion with Gremio in 2017, Renato said that was for “a few” and spoke a little about the anxiety preceding the confrontation.
Feeling a dream come true. Another Libertadores Cup final. It’s for a few coaches. I own this privilege with Flamingo. Abel (Ferrera), too. Feeling is a duty fulfilled in front of a great group, a great crowd and a great demand. We are ready for that. I hope Flamengo gets the triple championship. We know our opponent wants that, too. But we did everything we could for this game. They are teams that play forward, look for the goal, and have arrived at the merit. He said I believe in many feelings.
Renato Gaucho was also annoyed by the suggestion he could have “ditched” the tie with Grêmio for Brazil.
– My heart is fine. I’m well prepared. I shouldn’t say that today… but what can I say to some of your colleagues who have hinted… they don’t understand anything about football. They are the scrotum. There is no one up front to ask me that. I will never take off the bastard. But the heart is fine, with the adrenaline rushing. The Libertadores Cup final for a few. He said I am very proud and happy.
Flamengo and Palmeiras make the big decision regarding the Libertadores match on Saturday, 5pm (GMT), at the Estadio Centenario, in Montevideo, Uruguay.
See other responses from Renato Gaucho
– I’m so glad we got Michael back. I remember the training period he was in when I arrived. Flamengo has great players. There is Arascaeta, Bruno Henrique, Gabigol … This headache is useful for every coach. I’m not the one who makes the rules, they can only start 11. The important thing is that I have everyone available.
– Who should answer is Marcos Braz with the president. My conscience is clear, the numbers don’t lie. I’m grafted on. My head is in the decision, I want to be a flamingo champ. In football, you either win or you lose. But we did everything we could do.
Submit many opponents in recent matches
– We are more exposed in the way we play. But they were different teams. Despite these numbers, we beat Inter and tied with Grêmio. We are playing forward. In the eighties, Flamengo scored many goals and also took advantage of them. We have defensive care, and we train not to take risks. The most important thing is that we created a lot and scored goals. In the decision, we have to give as few chances as possible.
– Even you (journalists) do not understand each other … One time one of you is the favourite, then the other. As for me, I don’t see the favourite, I talked about it with Marcus (Poz) and Bruno (Spindel) coming in here. There are two great teams, with national players, the last two being champions. They arrived with merit. I don’t believe in favoritism. All teams are preparing well. Anything can happen.
Flamengo’s style of play in the final
– We can’t just stay in plan A, you have to have B and C… the most important thing is to be able to make that change during the match. We train in many ways. They will happen according to what happens in the game. But everyone knows the way I like it. The goal numbers say it all. The team likes to play with possession of the ball, but with objectivity. Sometimes we give up on a counterattack, yes, but it’s part of it. The more you attack, the closer you are to victory.
“In Brazil, they only give importance to who wins”
– We search for results and addresses. We came to win, and so did the opponent. Tomorrow we have a decision. The most important thing is that we have reached the merits. Here in Brazil, unfortunately, they only give importance to who wins. At Fluminense, in 2008, we lost and no one did well the next day. It is different in Europe. But I am grafted.
A personal chance to win the championship three times
– Yesterday I told the players: Sleep and let the movie go through your head. Look how good it is, knowing they were heroes once upon a time. It’s been going through my head for a month. Dream it and do it in the field. Seek all. Tri is important to everyone. Flamengo won after 40 years. Long time for a big club. Now, two years later, we’re in the final again. God willing, let us embrace after the match. Let’s try to make this dream come true.
– You can expect very high delivery and determination. We work for it. The fan can rest assured. Flamingos are always very strong in making decisions. We have done everything possible. We got the guys back, and now they can expect a really big grip.
– He’s a great referee, I’ve been following his work. Complete confidence. I think Palmeiras was satisfied too. It is known all over the world. My concern was to arm the team and let the referee do his job.
– The final match will always be a tense game, with each side trying to neutralize the other’s best players. We managed to control the emotions in the finals. We believe in what we do, and tomorrow will be no different. We try to do our best and minimize errors.
Everton Ribeiro, from Flamengo, trains in Montevideo – Photo: Alexandre Vidal / Flamengo
See what David Luiz and Rodrigo Caio had to say:
Comparison between 2019 x 2021
I think the team is more experienced in this final. It is important to get into the game, and see what can happen. Details make the difference. We can enter with more attention to all the details. we are strong. Palmeiras also comes from the nickname. It will be a great match and we are ready for it.
– It’s a stadium with a lot of history. We know from listening to parents and grandparents. It’s an honor to be here in the final. We also want to stand out on this court with the title.
The 7 shirt that belongs to Renato
We arrived confident and knew what to do. With everyone on hand, that’s what’s most important. We want to make a great match and make that dream come true. Renato the number 7 shirt made history with him, and I hope to be able to do more as well. It’s a number that does me a lot of good.
Our group is well prepared, focused and anxious. Everyone loves games like this, and it would be a big decision. We wish you could do more of what you want: a happy nation. He left with the address.
Expectations are very high, we are more than ready. I think we will have a great final, which is our goal and our dream. May we be crowned this year with this title which will be great for us and the entire nation.
“Internet Teacher. Certified TV Enthusiast. Beer Teacher. Unconditional Pop Culture Enthusiast. Web Scholarship Holder.”