David Julius NS Erdem Patabutian They are the winners Nobel prize 2021 in medicine, the Royal Academy of Sciences announced in Sweden This Monday (4), for discoveries about Temperature and touch receivers in the human body.
The results showed how heat, cold and touch can trigger signals in our nervous system. “The specific channels are important for many physiological processes and disease states,” the committee said.
NS The knowledge is used to develop treatments for a range of diseases., including chronic pain.
- David Julius Use capsaicin, a compound in hot peppers that triggers a burning sensation, to identify a sensor in the nerve endings of the skin that responds hot.
- Erdem Patabutian Use pressure sensitive cells to discover a new class of sensors that respond to them Mechanical stimuli in the skin and internal organs.
The winners will be sworn Insurance premium, which totals 10 million SEK (about 6.1 million BRL).
David Julius and Erdem Patbutian – Image: clone / Twitter Nobel Prize
In presenting the award, the Academy contemplated that “these revolutionary discoveries have sparked intense research activities, rapidly increasing our understanding of how our nervous system senses heat, cold, and mechanical stimuli. The award winners have identified key missing links in our understanding of the complex interaction between our senses and the environment.”
David Julius and Erdem Patabutian, recipients of the 2021 Nobel Prize in Medicine, for discoveries about temperature and touch – Photo: Jonathan Nakstrand / AFP
- David Julius He was born in 1955 in New York, USA. He received his Ph.D. in 1984 from the University of University of California at BerkeleyShe worked as a post-doctoral student at Columbia University, in New York. He is a professor at the University of California, San Francisco.
David Julius, one of the winners of the 2021 Nobel Prize in Medicine, is pictured November 3, 2019 at the NASA Ames Research Center. He was awarded the Nobel Prize with Arden Patbutian, also an American. – Photo: Peter Barreras/Invision/AP
- Erdem Patabutian Born in 1967 in Beirut Lebanon. He received his Ph.D. in 1996 from the California Institute of Technology (California Institute of Technology) in Pasadena, USA, and was a postdoctoral researcher at the University of California, San Francisco. He has been a scientist and professor at Scripps Research, California, and a researcher at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, in Maryland, since 2014.
The award committee, in a tweet, published a A picture of Patabotian with his son Luca while watching the award ceremony shortly after learning he won the Nobel Prize:
Last year, the Medicine Prize was awarded to three scientists for The discovery of the hepatitis C virus.
The medical degree is always the first to be advertised. Awards in PhysicsAnd chemistryAnd literature NS buzz It will be delivered throughout the week; Already laurel in Economie It will be released next Monday (11). see table:
- medicine: Monday, October 4
- PhysicsTuesday, October 5
- chemistry: Wednesday October 6
- literature: Thursday 7 October
- buzz: Friday October 8
- Economie: Monday, October 11
“Gamers. Unfortunate Twitter teachers. Zombie pioneers. Internet fans. Hardcore thinkers.”
White Noise: People who make money recording sounds like rain and washing machine
Bolsonaro summons foreign ambassadors to speak out against electronic voting machines on Monday
Understanding why the appearance of a giant paddlefish causes fear in Chileans (video)